Teaching with Technology

Practical ideas for Web 2.0 in the Primary Classroom

Wallwisher – Online Learning Walls.

May 21, 2009 by mrkp · 3 Comments · Tools

Whilst looking round a school last year I came across the idea of a ‘learning wall’ where children could write questions and ideas about any topic that they are studying.   The only thing that I didn’t like about it was the fact that it looked rather messy in the classroom – that’s the controling teacher in me!

Whilst ‘listening to Twitter a few weeks ago Doug Belshaw mentioned WallWisher.   I had a look at it and realised that this was in effect an online learning wall!

In class this week I set up a wall all about our next topic – Dinosaurs.   The exercise worked really well and th children came up with loads of questions.

The next step is to get them to create webpages to answer their questions and then link them to the questions on the wall.   I’m looking forward to see if it all works out.

Tags: ·

3 Comments so far ↓

• Bradley

I love this idea! I am so glad I came across your blog. In fact, I accessed it through a presentation on etherpad. Thanks for sharing.

• Teachmeet North West « More Than Maths

[...] Steve Kirkpatrick demonstrated Wallwisher.com (nb site doesn’t run well on older versions of IE – needs IE8). It’s basically a set of post it notes that Steve used a s a ‘learning wall’. Steve talked about using it to introduce a topic on dinosaurs, asking students what they thought they would learn. See more on his blog. [...]

• Teachmeet North West « More than a maths teacher